We extend a warm welcome to the latest member of the Watney Mann group, Beverley Brothers Limited of Wakefield, Yorkshire. The Beverley family began brewing at the Eagle Brewery in the middle of the last century and, when the firm celebrated its centenary in 1961, descendants of the original founders were well represented on the board. Mr Frank Beverley, the chairman, was grandson of Christopher Lodge Beverley, one of the original brothers; Mr Anthony Beverley, another director, was grandson of the other brother, Anthony Taylor Beverley, and the third Beverley director was Mr Christopher Beverley. A reporter on the Yorkshire Evening News, writing at the time, described the company as having `long been known as a family concern, independent and hardworking'.
The small brewing business was started by the Beverley Brothers in premises in Harrison Street, Wakefield, in 1861 Construction of the Eagle Brewery began in April of the same year and the plant was working by October. The Company opened its first public house, The Newmarket, in New Street, Wakefield, in 1869.
Twenty-seven years after the firm of Beverley Brothers was founded, it became a limited company, and in 1952 merged with John Baxter Ltd, a Lancashire brewery whose offices and store are still maintained, although brewing is no longer carried on there. Over the years the staff increased to over 150 and the company now supplies 173 public houses and off-licences in Yorkshire, Lancashire and on Teesside. They are justly proud of the only Gold Medal awarded at the Brewer's Exhibition in I960.
The managing director of Beverleys, Mr J. Mortimer, from now on  will be closely concerned with the co-ordination of the activities of  Beverleys and those of Wilsons Brewery. He will, with Mr W. Nash,  secretary of Beverleys, and Mr S. H. Threadgill, joint managing director  of Wilsons, serve on a committee for this purpose under the chairmanship of Mr L. T. King, chairman of Wilsons. Mr Mortimer, who has been with Beverleys for thirty-one years,  became company secretary in 1938. A member of the Territorial Army,  he served in the Royal Artillery during the second world war and as staff captain in Delhi under Earl Mountbatten of Burma. After the war he returned to the Eagle Brewery as company secretary and was appointed a director in 1958. In 1961 he became general manager and director,  and in 1965 was appointed managing director. He is a member of the local Hospital Management Committee and was President of the local Chamber of Commerce for three years. Mr Mortimer is interested in gardening and has recently taken up golf.
Brewery photographs 1967          Also see a preserved Beverleys Leyland Boxer dray.(external site)

return to Lost Brewers section of Wakefield CAMRA website         Wakefield CAMRA Homepage